Skip to main content

The Joseph and Kathryn Kubiak Memorial Collection

 Collection
Identifier: UA-52

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1917-1972

Biographical / Historical

Joseph Kubiak was born in Poland and immigrated to the United States. After being honorably discharged from the United States Army in 1917 for medical reasons, he returned to Poland to serve in the Polish Army until honorably discharged in 1920. He returned to the United States (Erie, PA) and received his American Certificate of Naturalization on February 25, 1922. In August of 1924, Mr. Kubiak received a certificate from the Stewart automobile school after passing the required examination. On November 14, 1934, Joseph Kubiak was wed to Catherine (Kathryn) Nozdyniewicz by the Rev. Andrew Iguasiak in St. Stanislaus church. In May, 1941, the Kubiaks took up residence at 639 East 8th St. (erie, PA) by means of rental. In May, 1947, they purchased the same residence from the Erie Brewing Co. and they operated the tavern there. On January 1, 1964, the Kubiaks sold the property (tavern) to Charles and Anna Sucharski. The Kubiaks purchased a house at 2354 East 33rd St. on December 19, 1963, from Pearl and Joseph Margolin. On March 21, 1968, the deed to this house was transferred from Joseph and Kathryn Kubiak to Kathryn(same) and Richard Kubiak (son). In the year of 1970 both Kathryn and Joseph Kubiak passed away and were buried in Calvary Cemetery.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet (3 boxes.)

4 Volumes

Language of Materials

English

Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Sister Mary Lawrence Franklin Archival Center Repository

Contact:
Mercyhurst University
501 East 38th Street
Hammermill Library
Erie Pennsylvania 16546 United States